deVine Thoughts

July 3, 2010

2009 Bordeaux Futures – Update

Filed under: deVine's Daily Blog Article — Dirk @ 11:55 am

pichon_lalandeAuthor: Dirk Chan

deVine’s 2009 Bordeaux Futures program is now complete. With over 60 wines offered, it is our biggest selection ever. Wines from $25 up to $650 offer something for every budget. While there are bargains at the Petit Chateaux and Cru Bourgeois levels and worth buying by the case, it is a different story for the highest scoring (95+ points) wines which are the most expensive ever, even with the strong Canadian dollar versus the up and down Euro. Wines are actually 25-40% higher than the great 2005’s. With careful chosing, some Grand Cru Classe wines were released at reasonable prices and we bought these and sold them just as quickly.

I have designated a countdown system for selections which are down to their last twelve bottles, so if you are interested in those wines, please purchase immediately to avoid disappointment. We will not be going back anymore to purchase the same offerings in 2nd and 3rd tranche higher prices. Due to the length of the En Primeur program, we have extended our buying deadline to Sunday, July 18 at 6pm. As usual, we require 75% of the total by that date with the remaining 25% due in mid to late 2012 when the wines arrive.

It is very clear where Bordeaux is heading with the pricing of this campaign. In great vintages, Classified Growths and highly rated Right Banks are now viable to only the rich with deep pockets – it is a commodity market of supply and demand. The Bordelais are going to charge crazy prices for these great vintages, and the wine world can take it or leave it. Consider that the First Growth Chateau Lafite sold for $1200/bottle Cdn retail on the first tranche, then went to $2000 Cdn, and now the third tranche is $2600/bottle and amazingly the world is still buying. We can bulk (and we did) at these prices, but the next great vintage of Lafite will be even more than that (and we have witness first hand this price progression with the 2000, 2003, 2005 and now 2009’s). All this makes Napa Valley wines seem like a bargain – c’est la vie.

Check out our 2009 Bordeaux offer here.

My advice is to buy all you could afford. With judicious selection, we have picked out what we consider as the pick of the litter for various price points. Despite my gripe regarding the superstars, Bordeaux has a proven track record for aging, and is the foundation of most wine cellars – you will be glad you have them in your cellar in ten years time. If you have any questions, or wish to speak to us about a particular chateaux, then please drop in to the store or make an appointment or an email, and we will gladly help you out in your decision making.

No Comments »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Powered by WordPress